Demystifying faucets – A buyer’s guide to faucet styles

Heather Mahr, a Ferguson author

by Heather Mahr


Selecting the right faucet for your kitchen or bath is easier to do when you understand the industry terminology. Gooseneck, bridge and vessel filler are some terms used to describe faucet styles and features, but what do they mean? Learn the language to help you pick the best faucet for your kitchen or bathroom.

Bar faucet

Bar faucet

A faucet that is used in conjunction with a small, secondary sink to allow for convenient beverage servicing is known as a bar faucet. Adding a bar faucet to create a mini-bar in your home is ideal for entertaining and will free up your main kitchen sink and faucet.

Shop bar faucets
Pot Filler Faucet

Pot filler

Characterized by a swing-out tap that is mounted at a higher level, this kitchen faucet makes filling large pots an easy task. Install a pot filler to the backsplash of a stovetop to conveniently boil large amounts of water.

Shop pot filler faucets
Pull Out Faucet Type


A nozzle that is attached to the rest of the faucet by an extendable hose is a pull-out spray. A kitchen faucet equipped with a pull-out spray eliminates the need for a secondary sprayer and makes it easy to remove sticky foods from plates and silverware.

Shop pull-out faucets
Wall mount faucet

Wall mount faucets

Instead of being mounted on top of the counter or sink, this type of faucet is mounted on the wall behind the basin. A wall mount faucet can be installed above a kitchen sink, lavatory sink or a bathtub and will save space while adding a modern flair to your home design.

Shop wall mount faucets
Ridge faucet type

Bridge faucet

Characterized by two faucet handles and a spout connected by a parallel bar, this faucet gets its name because of its resemblance to a bridge. Bridge faucets fit perfectly in both lavatories and kitchens that have a traditional aesthetic.

Shop bridge faucets
Vessel filler faucet

Vessel filler

A lavatory sink that is mounted above the surface of a counter as a separate installation as opposed to a sink that drops into the countertop is a vessel sink. A vessel filler faucet is constructed specifically to stand above the brim of a vessel sink and is typically a single-column faucet.

Shop vessel fillers
Deck Mount Faucet

Deck mount faucet

Instead of mounting a faucet directly to the sink, a deck mount faucet is mounted flush to the surface of the counter behind the sink, which can eliminate the need to find a kitchen or lavatory sink with a matching number of holes as the faucet. For the bathtub, a deck mount faucet is also referred to as a Roman tub faucet.

Shop deck mount faucets
Gooseneck Faucet


A faucet spout that has a rounded arc is known as a gooseneck faucet. Gooseneck faucets can vary in height, but are commonly found in high-arc faucets measuring over 8.” A gooseneck faucet in your kitchen makes easy work for washing large pots and pans.

Shop gooseneck faucets

*Due to recent regulations passed by the California Energy Commissions, as of September 1st, 2015, lavatory faucets with a flow rate of 1.5 gallons per minute or higher can no longer be sold for use in the state of California.
Heather Mahr, a Ferguson author

Heather Mahr

As Ferguson’s in-house copywriter, Heather is dedicated to providing readers with valuable information. She is passionate about helping people find the answers they need to make their life easier with her words.